Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to looking good as you age. If you start working on your skin, hair, nails, feet, eyes, and teeth in your twenties, thirties, and forties, you’ll still be looking glorious by your fifties and beyond. The largest organ in your body is… you thought I was going to say heart didn’t you? It’s your skin! So a thoughtful anti-aging skin care treatment regimen is a must to stave off the effects of aging.
There are a few basic things that need to be done no matter what your age is, so let's dive into those so we know you are moving forward on the correct path.
Anti-Aging Skin Care Tips
Use Sunscreen: Use sunscreen every day, even when it’s cloudy. At it’s best, sun damage causes wrinkles, and at it’s worst, sun damage can lead to skin cancer. Sunscreen is key in any anti-aging skin care regimen. We suggest an spf of at least 30 and preferably 40.
Use Antioxidants Antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin A, copper, etc... protect your skin from becoming damaged in the first place. Apply these every day and they can STOP damages by filling in the gaps in our cells that have become free radicals. It is a beautiful process.
Eat Well: Anti-oxidant foods that make your skin look great include any food with Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, and omega-3 fatty acids. Some of these include orange juice, broccoli, carrots, lean meats and fish. Basically, all the food that you KNOW is good for you - eat it. You will be helping your skin as well as your waistline.
Drink Water: Drinking lots of water keeps the skin plumped up, minimizing the appearance of wrinkles. Properly hydrated skin will appear dewy, clear, and youthful. If your skin is looking crepey or dry you are probably dehydrated. Pinch a bit of skin, if it stays there for a few seconds, you are dehydrated. If it snaps back immediately, you are looking good.
Get Enough Sleep: Sleeping at least seven hours each night refreshes the skin. Healing occurs when we sleep, so make a nap part of your anti-aging skin care treatment. I like to aim for at least 8 myself. No more of those 5 hour nights. Make sure you are off the phone for at least 30 minutes prior to bed, and you will fall asleep much more quickly.
No Smoking: Smoking ages skin by dehydrating it and degrading the collagen, and when a smoker inhales, their face contorts, particularly around the mouth, creating deep lines around the upper lip and eyes. Smoking has been shown to thin the skin too. Thin skin wrinkles more easily than thicker skin, so stop smoking today. Watch out for those straws too! Any motion that is pursing your lips will lead to lines.
Is It Too Late To Prevent Aging Skin?
What if you already have some effects of age showing, is the game over? Not at all. There are many ways to improve your skin. You can buy anti-aging skin care treatments that will help turn back the clock.
- We’ve all heard about Botox, botulism injected into your face to relax deep frown lines in your forehead or around your mouth.
- There is another cosmetic surgery procedure, known as “dermal fillers,” that literally fill the deep furrows with a hyaluronic acid compound that expands to fill the space. These are both quite expensive, require frequent sessions and in the end, are still only temporary.
- Less invasive, and less expensive, options include retinol (retinoid) creams, derivitaves of Vitamin A, which help reduce fine wrinkles when used over a period of time. Retinols may cause irritation in some people, including redness and peeling, and they also make you more sensitive to sunburn, but that's a small price to pay for younger looking skin.
- Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA) also provide fine line reduction by exfoliating dead skin cells. AHA’s can also cause some irritation like retinols, but symptoms are usually less severe. Everyone is different, so it is best to try both options or alternate them over the days.
- Chemical peels are a stronger option for those who already use acids, or who want a faster result. The TCA 13% at 1-2 layers is a perfect peel to target fine lines and even pigmentation that has accrued over the years. Another option would be a Glycolic 50% peel.
There are many new alternatives to injections nowadays. Topical ingredients like Syn-Ake and Snap8 can penetrate into the skin to slow muscle contractions. These can be applied 2x daily before other creams and lotions. After 30-45 days smoothing can become apparent. It is best to combine botox alternative therapies with the Retinol and hydroxy acids for the best results. As the exfoliators remove excess skin, the peptides can penetrate easier.
Here is to you and your healthy, younger looking skin! Keep up the good work.